click & drag to rotate
Complex aromas of plum, blueberries, and blackberries mingled with subtle floral and balsamic notes. The palate is elegant with a very good structure, sweet tannins, and excellent acidity with a long, pleasant finish.
Grape Varieties100% Malbec
AppellationValle de Uco
- 91 PointsWine Enthusiast
Production areaUco Valley, Mendoza. Made with grapes from 80% of selected plots from Salentein's oldest estate, El Oasis, which is located 3,700 feet above sea level. The remaining 20% comes from the La Pampa estate, located at 4,300 feet above sea level.
BackgroundIn the remote upper reaches of Argentina's Uco Valley on the eastern slopes of the Andes, Bodegas Salentein produces a remarkable collection of wines from vineyards planted at some of the highest elevations on the planet. From this lofty outpost, 65 miles south of the bustling city of Mendoza, Argentina's winemaking capital, Bodegas Salentein has forged an international reputation for its fine wines. Established in the late 1990s, Salentein is a privately-owned estate of almost 5,000 acres, of which 1,124 acres are planted to vine. Pr1mum, a Latin word meaning the first, represents Salentein's first range of flagship wines and the first ever high-end single varietal range from the Uco Valley. Pr1mum is made with the finest grapes grown at Salentein's estate vineyards, perfectly capturing the region's unique terroir. The grapes are harvested from individual plots at various elevations and soil profiles in the Uco Valley.
VinificationGrapes were hand-harvested and carried to the winery in 400-kg plastic bins. 70% of the volume was fermented in 7,000 liters wooden casks and the remaining 30% in 225 liters French oak barrels. Cold maceration was carried out at 50-54°F. Fermentation was carried out using active dry yeast at 82-86°F. During this process pump over, rack and return and punch down techniques were carried out during fermentation in oak casks. Punch down and macro oxygenation occurred during fermentation in the barrels. After post-fermentation maceration, the wine was racked and transferred to French oak casks where malolactic fermentation took place.
ColorIntense deep purple red color.
NoseComplex aromas of plum, blueberries, and blackberries mingled with subtle floral and balsamic notes.
PalateThe palate is elegant with a very good structure, sweet tannins, and excellent acidity with a long, pleasant finish.
AnalysisAlcohol: 14.5 %pH: 3.7RS: 2.1 g/LTA: 5.80 g/L
Serving SuggestionsEnjoy with grilled meats, roasts and robust pasta dishes.