click & drag to rotate
Los Cerezos Single Vineyard Malbec
Complex aromas of black fruits and floral notes. The palate has a good structure with very fine tannins, chalky texture, notes of black fruits and pepper supported by refreshing acidity, and a lingering finish.
AppellationValle de Uco
- 93 Points
Production areaGI Gualtallary. Planted in high trellises at 4,700 feet above sea level, with a plant density of 5,000 plants per hectare. Sandy soil of alluvial origin, with small and medium-sized pebbles covered with a thin layer of calcium carbonate.
BackgroundIn the remote upper reaches of Argentina's Uco Valley on the eastern slopes of the Andes, Bodegas Salentein produces a remarkable collection of wines from vineyards planted at some of the highest elevations on the planet. From this lofty outpost, 65 miles south of the bustling city of Mendoza, Argentina's winemaking capital, Bodegas Salentein has forged an international reputation for its fine wines. Each year, growing numbers of curious wine lovers are drawn to this spectacular location, intent on discovering and experiencing the beauty and ethos of Bodegas Salentein for themselves. Established in the late 1990s, Salentein is a privately-owned estate of almost 5,000 acres, of which 1,124 acres are planted to vine. The property includes a world-class winery and cellars, a 125-acre nature preserve, the showpiece Killka Center for Culture and the Arts, a nearby lodge (the Posada Salentein, offering an elegant and relaxing retreat into nature), and the landmark Chapel of Gratitude, a non-denominational chapel of ascetic loveliness, built using ancient local stonework techniques. Malbec grapes are sourced from Salentein's Los Cerezos Vineyard, The Cherry Trees, named for its location at the foot of an old cherry plantation.
VinificationGrapes were hand-harvested and carried to the winery in 400-kg plastic bins, followed by cluster selection and destemming. 80% of the volume was fermented in 225 liters oak barrels and the remaining 20%, in 7,000 liters oak casks. Cold maceration was carried out at 50-54°F. Fermentation was carried out using active dry yeast at 82-86°F. Punch-down fermentation occurred in barrels. Punch-down and pump-over fermentation, as well as rack and return occurred in casks. After post-fermentation maceration, the wine was racked and transferred to French oak casks where malolactic fermentation took place and aged for 16 months.
ColorIntense deep red.
NoseComplex aromas of black fruits and floral notes.
PalateThe palate has a good structure with very fine tannins, chalky texture, notes of black fruits and pepper supported by refreshing acidity, and a lingering finish.
AnalysisAlcohol: 14.5 %pH: 3.78RS: 2.0TA: 5.7