click & drag to rotate
Los Jabalies Single Vineyard Malbec
Complex aromas of black fruits, violets, and figs. The palate is concentrated with silky tannins, notes of graphite, refreshing acidity, and a long finish.
AppellationValle de Uco
- 93 Points
Production areaMalbec grapes were sourced from the Los Jabalíes vineyard, named for the wild boars that inhabit the area, situated at an elevation of 4,600 feet above sea level in the San Pablo GI of the Uco Valley.
BackgroundIn the remote upper reaches of Argentina's Uco Valley on the eastern slopes of the Andes, Bodegas Salentein produces a remarkable collection of wines from vineyards planted at some of the highest elevations on the planet. From this lofty outpost, 65 miles south of the bustling city of Mendoza, Argentina's winemaking capital, Bodegas Salentein has forged an international reputation for its fine wines. Each year, growing numbers of curious wine lovers are drawn to this spectacular location, intent on discovering and experiencing the beauty and ethos of Bodegas Salentein for themselves. Established in the late 1990s, Salentein is a privately-owned estate of almost 5,000 acres, of which 1,124 acres are planted to vine. The property includes a world-class winery and cellars, a 125-acre nature preserve, the showpiece Killka Center for Culture and the Arts, a nearby lodge (the Posada Salentein, offering an elegant and relaxing retreat into nature), and the landmark Chapel of Gratitude, a non-denominational chapel of ascetic loveliness, built using ancient local stonework techniques. Malbec grapes were sourced from Salentein's Los Jabales vineyard, named for the wild boars that inhabit the area, situated at an elevation of 4,600 feet above sea level in the San Pablo GI of the Uco Valley.
VinificationGrapes were handpicked and transported in 400-kg plastic bins. Bunches were then selected and de-stemmed. For fermentation, 76% of the grapes were transferred to 225 litre oak barrels, and the other 24% were transferred to stainless steel tanks. Cold maceration was performed at 50-54°F. Selected yeasts were used for fermentation that was temperature controlled at 82-86°F. Punch down was implemented as well as controlled introduction of macro oxygenation in the barrels, and pumping over and rack and return for the tanks. The wine was racked and transferred to French oak barrels for malolactic fermentation. The total maceration period was approximately 25-28 days and the wine was barrel-aged for 16 months.
ColorDark red with purple hues.
NoseComplex aromas of black fruits, violets, and figs.
PalateThe palate is concentrated with silky tannins, notes of graphite, refreshing acidity, and a long finish.
AnalysisAlcohol: 13.5 %pH: 3.7RS: 1.8TA: 5.5