Primum Malbec

Pr1mum Malbec

  • Valle de Uco, 
  • Mendoza, 
  • argentina

Latest Awards

  • 93 points Wine Enthusiast , January 2020
  • 93 points Wine Spectator , April 2019

In the remote upper reaches of Argentina's Valle de Uco on the eastern slopes of the Andes, Bodegas Salentein produces a remarkable collection of wines from vineyards planted at some of the highest elevations on the planet. From this lofty outpost, 65 miles south of the bustling city of Mendoza, Argentina's winemaking capital, Bodegas Salentein has forged an international reputation for its fine wines. Established in the late 1990s, Salentein is a privately-owned estate of almost 5,000 acres, of which 1,124 acres are planted to vine. Pr1mum, a Latin word meaning the first, represents Salentein's first range of flagship wines and the first ever high-end single varietal range from the Valle de Uco. Pr1mum is made with the finest grapes grown at Salentein's estate vineyards, perfectly capturing the region's unique terroir. The grapes are harvested from individual plots at various elevations and soil profiles.


80% of the grapes come from the oldest estate, “El Oasis”, located at 1,150 m.a.s.l. The remaining 20% comes from the “La Pampa” estate, located at 1,300 m.a.s.l. The soil at theses estates is shallow, alluvial – stony, with excellent permeability and it has low organic matter content. Harvest occurred between April 7th -17th.

Winemaking & Aging

Grapes were hand-harvested and carried to the winery in 400-kg plastic bins. 70% of the volume was fermented in 7,000 liters wooden casks and the remaining 30% in 225 liters French oak barrels. Cold maceration was carried out at 50-54°F. Fermentation was carried out using active dry yeast at 82-86°F. During this process pump over, rack and return and punch down techniques were carried out during fermentation in oak casks. Punch down and macro oxygenation occurred during fermentation in the barrels. After post-fermentation maceration, the wine was racked and transferred to French oak casks where malolactic fermentation took place.

Tasting Notes

Complex with intense notes of plum, blueberries, and blackberries mingled with subtle floral and balsamic notes. The mouth is elegant with a very good structure, sweet tannins, excellent acidity and with a long and pleasant finish.


A saturated purple color and concentrated aromas of blackberry, cassis, prune and vanilla lead to a lush, pure palate that’s ripe but balanced. Deep plum, blackberry, cassis and raisin flavors are full and delicious, while this Malbec pours on the spice notes on the rich finish. Drink through 2026.

Wine Enthusiast - January 2020


Fleshy and rich, with well-spiced plum tart, raspberry and dark cherry flavors that are well-structured. Redolent of cardamom, with hints of cinnamon on the creamy finish. Drink now through 2024. 3,214 cases made, 800 cases imported.

Wine Spectator - April 2019


The 2015 Primum Malbec, called Primus in some markets, comes mostly from their El Oasis vineyard at 1,200 meters in altitude. Some 20% of the volume is sourced from plot 22 of La Pampa at 1,300 meters in altitude. It fermented in 7,000-liter oak vats and 25% in barriques followed by malolactic and 18 months of aging in French oak barrels. It's a ripe, concentrated and generously oaked Malbec with ripe black fruit and plenty of spicy oak aromas and flavors. 38,568 bottles produced.

Wine Advocate - June 2018


Valle de Uco

grape varieties

100% Malbec



technical details
  • ABV: 14.50%
  • TA: 5.8 g/l
  • RS: 2.4 g/l
  • Ph: 3.7
  • Closure: Cork
  • Vegan

Jose Galante

Bodegas Salentein

Exploring the Full Range of High-Quality Bodegas Salentein Wines

Primum Malbec Primum Malbec

Our Wines

Hand-selected, exceptional wines that deliver quality and enjoyment at every level.

Our Spirits

A distinctive selection of artisanal spirits that inspire creativity and exploration.

Our latest Notes

From the PBI Journal