click & drag to rotate
Single Vineyard Malbec Los Basaltos Estate
Intense deep red. The nose shows a predominance of graphite and floral notes such as rose and violet that are combined with delicate spiced notes. In the mouth, the combination of the balsamic notes and the characteristics acidity of the grapes that
AppellationValle de Uco
- 91 Points
BackgroundIn the remote upper reaches of Argentina's Uco Valley on the eastern slopes of the Andes, Bodegas Salentein produces a remarkable collection of wines from vineyards planted at some of the highest elevations on the planet. From this lofty outpost, 65 miles south of the bustling city of Mendoza, Argentina's winemaking capital, Bodegas Salentein (Sah-len-tyne) has forged an international reputation for its fine wines. Each year, growing numbers of curious wine lovers are drawn to this spectacular location, intent on discovering and experiencing the beauty and ethos of Bodegas Salentein for themselves. Bodegas Salentein is a wine destination like no other. Established in the late 1990s, Salentein is a privately-owned estate of almost 5,000 acres, of which 1,124 acres are planted to vine. The property includes a world-class winery and cellars, a 125-acre nature preserve, the showpiece Killka Center for Culture and the Arts, a nearby lodge (the Posada Salentein, offering an elegant and relaxed retreat into nature), and the landmark Chapel of Gratitude, a non-denominational chapel of ascetic loveliness, built using ancient local stonework techniques.
VinificationThe grapes were harvested manually then the bunches were selected and destemmed. 60% of the volume fermented in new oak barrels and the rest (40%) in oak tanks. Fermentation was carried out using active dry yeast at 28-30°C. Pissage and oxygen addition controlled by “cliqueur” were performed in the fermenting barrel, while delestage and pissage in the fermenting tank. Once the post-fermentative maceration finished, the wine was devatted and racked into French oak barrels where malolactic fermentation took place.
ColorIntense deep red
NoseThe nose shows a predominance of graphite and floral notes such as rose and violet that are combined with delicate spiced notes.
PalateIn the mouth, the combination of the balsamic notes and the characteristics acidity of the grapes that grow in the Gualtallary region make this wine elegant and fresh with a long finish
AnalysisAlcohol: 14.5 %pH: 3.79RS: 2.5 g/LTA: 5.5 g/L