click & drag to rotate
Salentein, Bodegas
Primum Malbec
Ruby with garnet hues; notes of violets, blueberries and plums over-deliver on the nose and palate. Sweet, round tannins knit into the body of the wine and display flavors of ripe berries mingling with a touch of vanilla in this wine of sheer power a
Grape Varieties100% Malbec
AppellationValle de Uco
$ $ $ $
Multimedia Downloads
  • 91 Points
    Wine Enthusiast
BackgroundIn the remote upper reaches of Argentina's Uco Valley on the eastern slopes of the Andes, Bodegas Salentein produces a remarkable collection of wines from vineyards planted at some of the highest elevations on the planet. From this lofty outpost, 65 miles south of the bustling city of Mendoza, Argentina's winemaking capital, Bodegas Salentein (Sah-len-tyne) has forged an international reputation for its fine wines. Each year, growing numbers of curious wine lovers are drawn to this spectacular location, intent on discovering and experiencing the beauty and ethos of Bodegas Salentein for themselves. Bodegas Salentein is a wine destination like no other. Established in the late 1990s, Salentein is a privately-owned estate of almost 5,000 acres, of which 1,124 acres are planted to vine. The property includes a world-class winery and cellars, a 125-acre nature preserve, the showpiece Killka Center for Culture and the Arts, a nearby lodge (the Posada Salentein, offering an elegant and relaxed retreat into nature), and the landmark Chapel of Gratitude, a non-denominational chapel of ascetic loveliness, built using ancient local stonework techniques.
VinificationGrapes were 100% hand-harvested and carried to the winery. 75% of the grapes fermented at 7,000 liters capacity wooden barrels and the remaining 25% fermented at first use French oak casks. A pre-fermentation cold maceration was carried out at 10-12 ºC. Fermentation was carried out using active dry yeast. After post-fermentation maceration the wine was racked and transferred to French oak casks where malolactic fermentation took place.
ColorDeep Purple.
NoseRich aromas of ripe plums and blackberries, coupled with a touch of vanilla and tobacco.
PalateThe mouth is elegant with a very good structure, sweet tannins and flavors of ripe red fruits, excellent acidity and with a long and pleasant finish.
AnalysisAlcohol: 14.5 %pH: 3.7RS: 2.4 g/LTA: 5.80 g/L
Serving SuggestionsEnjoy with grilled meats, roasts and robust pasta dishes.